Thursday, May 31, 2012

Power supply for my Vilar IP camera

My Vilar IP camera served me well for almost an year until I had to replace its power supply. The symptoms were strange - the camera crashed, the PTZ was not working, but yet it transmitted ok.

The new power supply didn't last that long and even the video transmission failed.

Therefore I digged out an old 230W computer power supply (PS) and started thinking on wiring it to the 5V input of my camera.

Cutting the original power cable to get a connector that will fit was easy. Next I had to find out that the (+) was the red wire, while the (-) was the black one.

In order to check the needed wires of the computer PS it had to be working. Plugging it in did not made the trick, so I remembered that ATX PS had a low-power switch. Googling this I came across a page that made the obvious proposal to short-cicuit pin 14 and 15 (PS on and GND).

Luckily I wear a switcher with self-made zip handle made of clip. I took out the clip, cut it in half and bend it to produce an always-on power supply :)

I measured the different currents and found out that the black out is again GND. I've been burned by even more obvious things so I like to double check things. The red one turned ot to be +12V, while the yellow wire was the needed +5.12V

I soldered the cable from my camera to the wires of the ATX PS (red-red and balck-black), checked that the (+) is +5V and (-) is GND and decided to gave the IP camera a go with the new supply.

Suddenly the camera movement was faster (it sloooowly turned left/right with the old supply) and it responded to all requests as if it was just bought :)

Now I intend to power my Arduino Nano circut with the same ATS PS.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Many thanks for this brilliant post! Many points have extremely useful. Hopefully you'll continue sharing your knowledge around.



National Power Supply Engines

Unknown said...

The post is very good because it gives many useful information about Power supply for Vilar IP camera which is a great product.

Computer Power Supplies

CuteRimi said...

I'm using this IP Camera to keep an eye on my home or business when I can’t be there. I can give my friends and relatives a window into my world or monitor and record anything from anywhere on the Internet. I'm tension-free with my Vilar IP camera Ac Dc Adapter. Thanks:)

id_rsa.pub: invalid format, error in libcrypto

After I upgraded my Linux and got Python 3.10 by default, it turned out that Ansible 2.9 will no longer run and is unsupported together with...